Dealing with coughs and colds can be quite a challenge. Antibiotics are of no use because they only attack bacterial infections -- they're powerless against the viruses that cause colds. Most cold remedies only lessen the symptoms, but they do not help us to heal more quickly. Rather than reaching for the medicine bottle, many people are now turning to herbal remedies and traditional cures that do not contain the harmful side-effects and chemical compounds found in pharmaceuticals.
For a more natural approach to respiratory infections, here are some plant remedies that improve lung function, fight infections and promote good respiratory health.
1. Sage vapor works really well as an inhalant to help clear the lungs and sinuses. The magic ingredients are the four essential oils that it contains: thujone, camphor, terpene and salvene. Simply place a handful of dried sage in a pot of hot water and either inhale the steam or drink as a tea.
2. Oregano oil contains natural decongestant compounds that reduce histamine levels.
3. Eucalyptus eases throat irritations.
4. Peppermint relaxes the muscles of the respiratory tract.
5. Mullein. The flowers and leaves of the mullein plant can be utilized to make the lungs stronger and dispel mucous.
6. Plantain herb is a remarkably effective anti-inflammatory and is great for dry coughs.